Sunday, December 2, 2007

Chapter 6: The Mysterious Haven City

Lena smiled and nodded. “Haven City is in a very beautiful place. As you found out, it’s just off the coast of Brazil, on a tiny island called Sandista. As I said, it’s always been prosperous. The citizens live in a very close-knit society, our kingdom rules with an iron fist, we try our best to keep the enemy out…and of course…” She said the next statement with a laugh “we can’t forget about the Precursors.”
Chris perked up. “The Precursors? Are these like, the ones who founded Haven City?”
Lena nodded. “Yes. But they’re not who you might think. You see, the Precursors were these creatures called ottsels, which is a combination between a otter and a weasel. They can swim and walk on land, are very intelligent, and basically built Haven City from the ground up. No one really knows how they were able to accumulate so much wealth in the early stages, but ever since they returned to the waters, the people who came over have been very thankful that the ottsels left the city just how they designed it.”
Chris was very intrigued now. He wanted to ask these ottsels so many questions.
“So, these ottsels…are there any of them left?”
Lena shook her head. “The Precursors are rarely seen. Sometimes they’ll make appearances here and there just to check on their city, but otherwise they mostly have their own lives in our waters now. As far as I know, when Steve and I were shelled out, there were none in the city.”
“Aw…bummer.” Chris said. “Now who can I ask all my questions to when I get there?”
Lena gave him a shocking look. “You’re not actually thinking of going there, are you?”
Chris looked in her eyes. “I have to. I have to find a story there that can save the newspaper. I don’t know why, but I think there’s a reason why the dart that I threw took me there.”
Lena also had a moment. Could it be? Could it be that maybe, just maybe, one of the ottsels is signaling for help?
Lena knew she couldn’t talk Chris out of it. She said calmly, “The Thunderbolts may be moving in for their last invasion at any moment. It may be the biggest one of them all. Since they already have the King, they may try to take over Haven City completely.”
Chris swallowed. He didn’t want to be part of a rescue mission; he just wanted to write a great story!
But Lena pulled out something from under the sink. It was a HUGE blasting gun.
“Take this for your own protection. You will likely need it. And if you find an ottsel to help you and answer your questions, you will be one lucky reporter, Mr. Saunders.”
Then, just as Steve was walking back in and yelled out, “Has Chris left yet?” Lena gave Chris a quick kiss on the lips.
“LENA!” shouted Steve.
“STEVE! It’s not what you think! I was telling Chris about Haven City and what he needed to do there. He’s going there to save the paper and maybe even the town!”
Steve stared at Chris. Chris just gave him a little wave.
Steve put his hands on Chris’s shoulders. Instead of getting angry, Steve hugged him and cried.
Man oh man, Chris thought. That city and those people are going through total heck. But how do they manage to live so well then?
Steve then said, “Chris, my friend. I was afraid to tell you my story. That’s why I ran out. I didn’t have the strength nor the heart. But now that you know it, Lena and I will definitely support you and be cheering you on from afar. Good luck, son.”
As Steve and Lena walked out the back way home, Chris just sat there, staring into the last of his coffee, and turned off the tape recorder.
“Dear God, what have I gotten myself into?”
But there was no turning back now. Chris had to head home, pack his bags, and leave. The cruise ship for Haven City was leaving at 9 a.m. the next morning.
“Please, please, let me run into an ottsel to help me,” Chris said as he walked those dark, lonely streets home. “’Cause I know I can’t do this alone.”

(Word Count: 4,558 - a mere 9.1%)

No comments: